Saturday, March 14, 2009

Promotional Consideration...

Today, I'm trying a little experiment in viral marketing. I'm going to a "Festival of Books" today (many books are festive, so it stands to reason they would eventually have their own festival!) and I expect to see a lot of writers and editors and others in the industry.

Now, as much as I like to think of myself as "A Writer," it turns out that you have to actually write occasionally to be looked at that way by others! As you can imagine, this came as quite a shock to me.

So, in an effort to boost my readership (double-digits, here I come!) and therefore, possibly encourage myself to be more productive, I've decided to try some self-promotion.

Now, I'm not talking about the kind of self-promotion I usually engage in (HEY JERKFACE! As a matter of fact, I DO own the road!). No, this time I'm going to try something subtle.

I've made up exactly twenty business-card teasers. They have the name of the blog (the tao of dethwombat for those of you who have forgotten), the Internet address, and my name. Some of these will be handed to people unfortunate enough to get sucked in to a conversation with me. Others will be strategically placed in locations where they are likely to be seen by passers-by. Still others may get planted on people without their knowledge (depending on police presence!). But the whole point of the exercise is to see if something odd and subtle like that will attract new readers.

If you've come here because you found or saw a little card with a picture of a wombat crossing sign on it, please be kind enough to leave me a comment. I also invite you to peruse the rest of my eclectic little pile of musings (I was especially funny back in February of '07!), and feel free to comment on any of them as well. Finally, you are welcome to make suggestions of other things you'd like to see me write about. As any of my long-time readers (both of them) will attest, I always welcome suggestions! Heck, I even acted on one once!

So if you're new, welcome to my little corner of the Interwebs! And if you're a returning reader, I PROMISE I'll start working on those challenge articles soon!




-Sage Words

2 comments:

spiritualastronomer said...

Interesting idea. You might also try Facebook.
Chris

Unknown said...

You should ask those new readers to pass on the little business card in some sneaky way to another potential reader. Like chain e-mails! "If you don't pass this on to 5 friends, a wombat will die!" or something, you know?