Monday, November 10, 2008

Pip Pip! Cherrio! Wot? Wot?

Perspective is a marvelous thing. And the funny thing is, it can sneak up on you.

My friend Sid is visiting from England, and it is a very refreshing experience for me. On the one hand, it's kind of like having a younger, British version of myself around to talk comics with. For those of you who don't know Sid (which is all of you!) I met him in the mid-90's when I was stationed in England for the first time. He worked in the comic book store where I fed my habit on a semi-regular basis, and every time we talked comics, I found his likes/dislikes/opinions to be very much like mine. In comics, this is a rare find, and I got along so well with him and Glynn (the owner) that I kept in semi-touch when Chica and I moved to Omaha.

When we returned to England for a second tour, Sid and Glynn were the first on my list of people to look up and, even though their shop was over an hour away, I still went to see them as often as possible (and spend a stupid amount of money on comics while I was at it)! Over the ten years (or so) since we first met, Sid and I still seem to share our opinions pretty evenly on comics, movies, popular culture, and even the weather (Arizona is HOT!)

Now he's visiting on my turf for the first time and he came here because, like a lot of people around the world, he was fascinated by the election. Unlike a lot of people, he had the time and inclination to come here and check it out for himself (which impresses me quite a bit, now that I think about it).

So we've spent some time the last few days talking comics and movies and TV like we always do, but also discussing politics, and that's where the perspective comment comes in. It's really interesting to hear his opinions on how our process has worked, and how we're reacting to the results.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you a little more about the substance of these discussions (summit talks?) but for now I just want to say "Welcome" to Sid, and thank you for being so interested in our humble little country!

Like we say here in America, "Mi casa es su casa!"



-Sage Words

2 comments:

Yarntangler said...

Welcome Sid!

Geezerguy said...

Hi Sid. Welcome to the States. Hope you and Sage can keep away from his collection long enough to analyze the Obama ascension.
-Geezerguy